[postgis-users] Is PostGIS a good tool for data quality validation?

Jorge Arevalo jorgearevalo at libregis.org
Sun Dec 1 04:27:22 PST 2013

Hello,

I'm learning about techniques to ensure GIS data quality. Googling
around, I've found a few papers about theory and best practices [1]
[2], and a couple of short presentations about the topic using ESRI
tools [3] [4]

For example, the concepts of "tolerance" and "precision" are globally
defined in ArcGIS (I didn't know it), and I think Oracle globally
manages the concept of "tolerance" too. On the other hand, as far as I
know, PostGIS doesn't expose the user-defined precision model
supported by GEOS, and simply uses the full precision of floating
point numbers.

So, my question is: what PostGIS [topology] provided tools may be used
for data quality assurance? Has anyone experience with this topic? Or
maybe I'm just selecting the wrong tool for this.

Anyway, many thanks in advance.

--
Jorge Arevalo
Freelance developer