[postgis-users] Is it worth to load background raster into postgis?

Pietro Rossin pierigis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 04:20:32 PST 2013

Hi all
we are building a postgis db to store shared data to e used in my agency.
While for the vectorial part of our data I'm convinced of the advantage to
store them into a geodb, for the raster part of data I'm not so convinced.
I took a look at postgis raster reference page and I realized that postgis
raster is good if the raster is used to make analysis.
So, let's say it's ok for dtm raster data, to obtain slope/hillshade/aspect
on the fly..
But If the raster we use is only for base/coreographic pourpose, to be
loaded mainly in desktop mapping applications, is it worth to use postgis?
Right now most of our raster are in ecw format and I'm searching a way to
distribute them over LAN..
May be a mosaic/vrt..
Ay suggestion?
Thank you