[postgis-users] Sample usages of analytic functions

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Feb 11 14:42:37 PST 2013

On 2/11/2013 1:17 PM, Alvin Cheung wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The PostGIS reference manual lists a lot of powerful built-in functions
> for processing and analyzing spatial data. However, I haven't been able
> to find many open-source applications that make use of such analytic
> capabilities beyond those that use relatively simple functionalities
> such as ST_X / ST_Centroid / ST_Area.  I am wondering if anyone has
> suggestions for applications that exploit PostGIS built-in functions to
> larger extents?

I can highly recommend the book "PostGIS in Action" I has lots of
examples of how to use the commands in real world like situations.

http://www.postgis.us/

I like to think of PostGIS as a tool box for problem solving. Without a
specific problem to solve it is hard in the abstract to see how these
commands might be useful.

The Tiger Geocoder addon to PostGIS uses postGIS commands to linearly
interpolate along a road segment to find the location of a house.

I have done analysis where I had intersect a layer of parcel polygons
against a layer of soil types and then compute area of each soil types
contribution to the parcel and apply a tax rate for the soil to compute
the taxes on the parcel.

Hope this helps,
   -Steve