[postgis-users] Query without index faster than query with index (using GIST)

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Feb 14 16:20:57 PST 2013

In addition you need to tell us what version of software you are running.

select postgis_full_version();

In the newer versions many of the ST_* function automatically do and
appropriate && under the covers so adding it in does not improve
anything, but dos make you query backwards compatible with older versions.

-Steve W