[postgis-users] Make polygons on mixed closed/non closed linestrings?

Pietro Rossin pierigis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 03:30:02 PST 2013

Is it possible?
I have a postgis table that is an importation of dxf data.
In autocad a polygon is a closed polyline
All civil buildings, in my table, are closed polylines and I can convert
them on the fly to polygon by st_makepolygon() function, ok.
My problem is for big buildings, in cities, where there are many buildings
that share a wall.

If, for example, a building is made by three unit, with different roof
height, I have two layers, one that is the overall perimeter of the three
building and the second that is a layer containing the divisions, let's say
linestring that have their ends on the perimeter..

Is there some aggregation I can perform by sql statements to obtain three
polygons or must I export data and process them via external software (ex
grass)?

Thanks
Pietro