[postgis-users] mixed geometry types

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jan 28 15:59:34 PST 2013

Is it OK to change a constraint to allow multiple geometry types in a table?  I'm getting tired or worrying whether I can use a linestring and explode multilinestrings to match, or I need to use a multilinestring and force all imported lines to multi.  Similar for polygon/multipolygon.

A typical constraint I get when importing a new table with GDAL is:

geometrytype(wkb_geometry) = 'LINESTRING'::text OR wkb_geometry IS NULL

I assume I can just change that to:

geometrytype(wkb_geometry) = 'MULTILINESTRING'::text OR geometrytype(wkb_geometry) = 'LINESTRING'::text OR wkb_geometry IS NULL

How does PostGIS 2 determine what geometry type a table is for the geometry_columns view?  the first item in the constraint?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect