[postgis-users] Calculating line of sight

David Rowley dgrowleyml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 04:29:47 PDT 2013

I'm trying to work out if it is possible to use PostGIS to calculate if I
have a line of sight from point A to Point B.

Basically I want to know, if from standing at Point A, taking into account
all of the elevation data I have, can I see Point B?

I have downloaded all the required elevation data and imported this as
rasters into my database. I'm now trying to work out if there is a way to
use this data to do what I need. I've looked at ST_3DIntersects, but
perhaps I need a way to extract a LINE from my raster? I'm not quite sure
how to do this.

Would anyone be able to point me to the correct page on the manual that
might help me?

Thanks

David