[postgis-users] St_Union crashing

David Rowley dgrowleyml at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 13:03:19 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Bborie Park <dustymugs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM, David Rowley <dgrowleyml at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Bborie Park <dustymugs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you using the latest version of PostGIS 2.0? What's the minor
>>> version?
>>>
>>> SELECT postgis_full_version()
>>>

>> Full version is:
>>
>>  POSTGIS="2.0.3 r11132" GEOS="3.3.8-CAPI-1.7.8" PROJ="Rel. 4.8.0, 6 March
>> 2012" GDAL="GDAL 1.9.2, released 2012/10/08" LIBXML="2.7.8"
>> LIBJSON="UNKNOWN" TOPOLOGY
>> (topology procs from "2.0.1 r9979" need upgrade) RASTER
>>

> Are you able to try PostGIS 2.1? ST_Union() was completely rewritten to
> use a different underlying engine and have dramatically better performance.

I will get a copy to test it soon. Though I'll not be able to go live until
the stable release is out as I don't have control over which version is on
the server.

> Are you able to point me to the raster data that you're using? That way,
> someone can test on another Windows (and probably other) environment.

Sure. I've created a smallish recreation script with about 2000 16x16
rasters which still crashes with me.

http://www.davidrowley.co.uk/files/st_union_crash.sql

Just send ctrl+C while the St_Union is in progress.

I get:

test=# SELECT ST_Union(rast) FROM rasttest;
Cancel request sent
        before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.

Regards

David

-bborie