[postgis-users] PostGIS 2.0.3 released

Jerry Carter jerry at jerrycarter.org
Fri Mar 1 08:36:35 PST 2013

Minor question on the upgrade process and PostgreSQL extensions.

When I built from source and upon the completion of 'make install', PostgreSQL reported [1] that version 2.0.3 was present BEFORE issuing the ALTER EXTENSION commands as advised in section 2.9.1.2 of the documentation.  Are the 'ALTER EXTENSION' commands really necessary?  If not, perhaps the documentation might suggest checking the version first.  If so, a warning in the documentation that the reported version doesn't match the installed version seems appropriate.

Thanks.

-=- Jerry

[1] SELECT "name",default_version,installed_version FROM pg_available_extensions WHERE "name" ILIKE 'postgis%'