[postgis-users] design problem

Denise Janson denise.j.ferreira at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 10:52:44 PST 2013

Thank you all for the quick responses!!

Andy, my files vary from 2 to 20 Mb. I'm thinking to store only the path to
the file in “uploaded_files” table, and the georeferenced Point in the
“point” table. I need to generate polygons with theses points, and make
intersections, in order to generate reports about some areas. That's why I
think it's better to have them in hand stored with postgis … I think I'll
have to partition it because in two years this table will become too large,
and performance will be compromised.

Stephen V. Mather , our clients usually want to see the last 3 months
report. But sometimes, they want to check old reports. Since we have more
access to recent files, I thought partitioning the table only by month may
attend performance issues … am I wrong? And, yes, sometimes data may change
…

Stephen Woodbrid, in my case, I think I would have a master table of points,
and all other point tables (separated by month) inherit  from it. Is there
any issues on doing this way?

Brent Wood, I didn't know Geonetwork, thank you. I'm going to study to see
if I can use it, and then I tell here. It's a good idea to use clustered
indexes too! Could you please send me the source code you told about? I
think it will help me with performance ideas! Thank you!

I'm using geoserver-manager library to add shape files to geoserver and
postgis. Using  geoserver-manager, each published shape turns into a table
in database. Since each shape can have unknown different features, I thought
it would be good to use the library to publish them, and deal with these
features.

In cases that I don't need to join tables, just access the file published
and it features with geoserver, what are the problems if I store a table for
each file? Are there issues to have millions of tables in Postgis?
Performance issues or maybe a limit number for tables creation?

Thaks,
Denise