[postgis-users] polygon with equally spaced points from an existing polygon

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Mar 12 01:50:42 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 09:22:09PM -0700, Luis Tavares wrote:

> How do I create a polygon with equally spaced points from an existing polygon?

Looks like a two steps process:

 1) drop vertices that are too close (st_simplify may help)
 2) add vertices where missing (st_simplify)

> I know that more the curvature or concavity changes sign more points are needed. So one solution would be to calculate the minimum of all distances between two consecutive points in the original polygon and use that distance to build my polygon with equally spaced points. Is this correct? If so, How do I proceed from here? Any ready made solution?

Calculating the minimum of all distances between two consecutive
points could be a useful standalone function. Don't you also need
minimum distance between any two points ? I'm curious about the
use case for the "consecutive only" approach.

--strk;