[postgis-users] srid, geometry type in spatial view

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Thu Mar 21 11:37:06 PDT 2013

I have a few spatial tables that are POLYGON and MULTIPOLYGON as the
geometry type, each with between 1k and 10k features.  They only a couple
of attributes and generally look good., and display in QGIS nicely.  I also
have a separate (non-spatial) data table (called geodatatable) with about
50 records that contains numerous attributes and is joined to the polygons
as follows

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW public.geomapview AS
 SELECT geomap.gid, geomap.unitcode, tab.name, tab.description,
tab.geologicunittype, tab.metadata, geomap.geom
   FROM geomap
   LEFT JOIN geodatatable tab ON geomap.unitcode::text = tab.unitcode::text;

However. when I look at the geometry_columns view, the srid is listed as 0
and the type is listed as GEOMETRY.  Shouldn't they be the same as the
spatial table?  Is there a way to manually fix this or something I can
check?  Thanks for your help.

- John

John Callahan
Research Scientist