[postgis-users] Need a method for "noding" a street network

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu May 9 06:43:31 PDT 2013

On 5/9/2013 7:20 AM, Nicolas Ribot wrote:
> (I spammed this thread a bit with image attachment....)
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> We the given dataset, my approach is indeed slow compared to st_union
> approach (though precision for the st_dwithin clause must be adapted to
> the current dataset. I took the following precision: 0.000001)
>
> The st_union method generates 18322 segments in 7318 ms, though the
> final association between original  lines and new segment is not done here.
>
> With the query I gave, the st_dwithin part takes 11.7 sec on a recent
> laptop machine (1.8 Ghz Intel Core I7, 1024 mb of ram for shared_buffer,
> 512 for work_mem)...
>
> The complete query returns 17292 segments in 17956 ms.
>
> As the lines are almost already noded, it generates a lot of
> intersection points coincident with one line ends.
>
> As you noted, intermediate temp tables may help here:
>
> I decomposed the query into intermediate steps and the performance is
> about the same as with st_union :
>
> -- First creates temp table with intersection points
> drop table  if exists intergeom;
> create temp table intergeom as
> select l1.id as l1id, l2.id as l2id,
> st_intersection(l1.geom, l2.geom) as geom
> from bdaways l1 join bdaways l2 on (st_dwithin(l1.geom, l2.geom, 0.000001))
> where l1.id  <> l2.id ;
>
> -- keeps only true intersection points
> -- must handle the case where lines intersects at a linestring...

Would it make sense to take all the geometryType(geom) <> 'LINESTRING'
and just add the end points to the intergeom table. I think this would
then add break points at the ends of overlapping segments insure that
they get divided at those points and it would also add extraneous points
at the other end, but these would get filter out later. So add these two
lines here?

insert intergeom (l1id, l2id, geom)
        values (l1id, l2id, st_startpoint(geom))
        where geometryType(geom) <> 'LINESTRING';

insert intergeom (l1id, l2id, geom)
        values (l1id, l2id, st_endpoint(geom))
        where geometryType(geom) <> 'LINESTRING';

> delete from intergeom where geometryType(geom) <> 'POINT';

I think some OSM data from a small central american country might make a
good test case. I have not tried any of these:

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/americas/central_america

but I notice that if you click into a country like Belize or Costa Rica,
there is a shapefile for the country near the bottom of the list or you
can pick just a city for a smaller data set.

I'll start packaging this into a stored procedure. This is an awesome job.

Thanks,
   -Steve