[postgis-users] Fwd: line direction

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu May 16 09:36:54 PDT 2013

How do you define arc direction?
If you had a function:

select getArcDirection(arc);

What would you expect the output to be?

In your image, the arc direction is a function of the labeling algorithm
in combination with this that of the arc. For example if the label were
flipped upside down and written along the underside of the line then the
arc direction symbol would have to be reversed. So we can see that it is
a function of the label and not just the arc alone.

postgis does not do rendering so it can not define that.

-Steve