[postgis-users] postgresql upgrade from 8.4 to 9.1

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Nov 5 06:23:40 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 02:51:33PM +0100, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to upgrade my PG cluster from 8.4 (which contains some
> PostGIS DBs) to 9.1.
> ERROR:  function public.geometry_analyze(internal) does not exist
>
> I have installed same PostGIS version (2.0.3) in the both versions of
> PostgreSQL.
>
> Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks in advance! Martin

You're likely restoring postgis objects togheter with the data.
The postgis objects in the old database are meant to be used
with PostgreSQL 8.4, not 9.1. You need to skip those objects.

The postgis_restore.pl script was written to do the objects
skip for you, at restore time.

By using pg_upgradecluster you're missing the "skip" step
in the process. You'll have to do the pg_dump/pg_restore manually
instead, as documented in the "Hard Upgrade" section in the manual.

--strk;

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign        - against html e-mail
 /\  http://www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments