[postgis-users] Reloading .so File (Postgresql8.2+)

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Nov 15 07:12:34 PST 2013

On 11/15/2013 6:20 AM, Peter Tolkewitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there any way to reload a shared object (.so) file with a C-function into Postgres? Seems that up from Postgres 8.2 the behaviour of LOAD has been changed:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/xfunc-c.html
> If you need to force a reload of an object file, for example after recompiling it, use the LOAD command or begin a fresh session.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/xfunc-c.html
> If you need to force a reload of an object file, for example after recompiling it, begin a fresh session.
>
> What does "begin a fresh session" mean? Neither by starting a new psql session on the command line, nor by restarting PgAdmin3 or reconnecting to the database using the JDBC driver the .so file is re-read.

In psql, I just reconnect to the database with a simple "\c[enter]"
In pgadmin, I have to close the sql window and open a new one.

every pgadmin window is a separate "session" so if you have a lot of
open windows it is fastest to just save your work and exit and restart
pgadmin or exit all your windows on the database.

-Steve