[postgis-users] The first release of the PostGIS Add-ons is out!

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Tue Nov 19 13:34:18 PST 2013

Sorry to be a little bit late in the discussion, but in my opinion, there
are really two sensible solutions:

1) Use the most simple and liberal (permissive) license. No license is not
an option, since it means copyright by default, and public domain is not a
good option due to specific issues in some countries. With this approach,
the BSD is probably the best choice: the license is very short, and very
easy to read and understand. This would basically allow anybody to reuse
parts or whole of the code in open source or proprietary projects.

2) Stick to the PostGIS license as you suggest. This can be justified by
the fact that the code would be hard to reuse without PostGIS itself, so
that it's not such a big deal to restrict the reuse of the code... As the
others said, if you're more comfortable with it, stick to it! However, keep
in mind, that, if you have many contributions, it would make a latter
change to a more liberal license all the more difficult (every other
authors would have to give his agreement). This doesn't make it a bad
choice, though, but it's better to know the pros and cons in advance!

Mathieu.

Le 11/19/2013 03:48 PM, Pierre Racine a écrit :
>> 1. If it is GPL and I add it to my code them my code has to be licensed
>> undr GPL. This is problematic for most business. If I have a proprietary
>> product that I'm spent 100's of thousands of hours to develop and
>> believe that it is critical to my success, there is no way that I can
>> afford to allow GPL code into it. This is not a judgement call on the
>> correctness of this thinking. And the GPL advocates will have similar
>> arguments from their point of view.
>
> My point is that, if you want to integrate it with something more restrictive, it is always very easy to separate them in different files with a different licensing scheme mostly because PL/pgSQL is not compiled.
>
> I'm going with GPL...
>
> Pierre

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard