[postgis-users] The first release of the PostGIS Add-ons is out!

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Nov 20 08:07:42 PST 2013

Hi,

> > I would prefer "You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO as long as it stay
> > open..."
>
> That's GPL, really. The only reason for people NOT to like it is
> when they want to craft some piece of closed source and still use
> what you send out to the world as an open component.

Another reason is when the GPL itself is not clear on how it can be applied to
some code, because it has been written for compiled code initially.
If someone can explain clearly how GPL terms apply to Pl/PgSQL code, I would
be glad to hear it. Otherwise it is just adding confusion to something which
should be simple, and first people concerned are not proprietary software
developers, but opensource developers and wannabe contributors.

And last reason is the kind of reason we just had with SFCGAL :
incompatibilities between opensource licence. If you begin to annoy opensource
developers wanting to do some opensource code, you just reach the opposite
goal of your initial intent. This does harm.

Vincent