[postgis-users] Multiple Geometries in Single View

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 08:19:52 PDT 2013

To Wesley -

You can have a table or a view in PostGIS/PostgreSQL that contains
different geometry types (type: geometry). The problem is that QGIS
can't show them as a single table. QGIS is the limiting factor, not PostGIS.

You can load all your shapefiles into a PostGIS database and make
different views that select/modify the data in the base tables in
different ways. But you can still only have one type of geometry in
every table/view if you want to show them in QGIS.

On another note: Have you thought about putting your data in a
Spatialite database instead of Postgis ? It can be done as a single file
for all the tables/views, that simply can be copied from one computer to
another (Still: only one geometry type in each table/view ;-)

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen
Aestas-GIS
Denmark