[postgis-users] Better storage strategy for 1 million tile of 50*50 pixels, 24 bands?

guido lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Fri Apr 18 04:50:45 PDT 2014

Remi,

I access postgis raster data with Java, using JDBC and ST_AsTiff for raster results and then JAI (Java Advanced Imaging). JAI allows me to do stuff which can now be done mostly with ST_MapAlgebra as well. Since I am using OpenCV (which has most functions accessible through Java wrappers) in other approaches, I don't expect to have any issue with using that with postgis. In particular, I expect to use GPU accelerated OpenCV routines (template matching, segmentation, classification) to work on chunks I pull out of the Landsat-8 data base.

I will definitely try both rasdaman and SciDB at some stage, but for now, the MVC possibilities provided by the postgis/java/grails suite are pretty solid.

Guido