[postgis-users] Adding to geocoder data for better results?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Apr 25 05:22:17 PDT 2014

You might also try this address:

46896 state highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920

http://imaptools.com:8080/demo/tiger-demo2.html?zoom=16&lat=36.25934&lon=-121.78893&layers=BTT&geo=46896%20state%20highway%201%2C%20Big%20Sur%2C%20CA%2093920

And see if it works. This works in my geocoder, which is not the postgis
geocoder, but is based on Tiger data. The problem has more to do with
how names are standardized. For example:

California 1
CA 1
Calif 1
State Hwy 1
sthwy 1
Hwy 1
State Route 1
Route 1
1
etc

If your query does not match or is not standardized the same way as the
reference data the is being searched then it will fail to find that
object and then it probably does a fuzzy search based on some fallback
algorithm trying to find something that looks like it might be what you
want and hence some strange answers.

-Steve W