[postgis-users] geometry_columns and privileges?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sun Aug 3 10:33:54 PDT 2014

Martin,
Just because a user owns a database doesn't mean they have SELECT rights to
tables in a database.  It's strange I know.

Geometry_columns will only list tables that the user has SELECT rights to.

To confirm -- try logged in as this db owner to select from a table that has
a geometry column.

If you want the db owner to always have full rights to tables in database
use:

-- handle future tables and ability to regrant as well
ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES IN SCHEMA my_schema
GRANT ALL ON TABLES TO mydb_admin WITH GRANT OPTION;

-- handle existing tabes
GRANT ALL ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA my_schema TO mydb_admin WITH GRANT OPTION;

Repalce my_schema and mydb_admin with schema your tables are in (usually
public) and your db owner.

Hope that helps,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us