[postgis-users] PostGIS as a solution for non-geographic x-y or temporal data ?

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 00:59:52 PDT 2014

What I meant about (time,[-88,88]) --> X,Y is that a tone is very similiar
to the same tone one octave up and one octave down.
This introduces problems because your tone space is not flat (like [1,88]).
Therefore you may want to models this using a third dimension.

However you can somehow only use 2D and introduce this octave knowledge in
your distance/measure functions.

 for the time I wouldn't discretize it (convert to int), because in
classical music for instance the tempo is constantly fluctuating during all
the play
, so if you define time has regularly spaced notes, your going to loose a
lot's of knowledge. Moreover, you have nothing to gain by doing this. All
PostGis function work on X as a float (double in fact).

What this modelisation is going to do is exactly what you would obtain if
you draw a line between the note on the score (the behavior of what you
want is not clear for chords tough).

I did use PLR,
it works very well and is very handy.
I would recommend writting the R in RStudio with fake data for test, then
port it to PL/R.
Be carefull wrong operation may crash the server at first.

I did clustering, which you could also do on your not as X,Y points. For
this you need a measure of distance, you can simply take euclidian distance
(regular postgis distance) for a start.

Cheers,
Rémi-C