[postgis-users] Poor Geocoder Performance

Brandon Abear babear at carthage.edu
Sun Dec 21 19:20:39 PST 2014

I recently installed PostGIS 2.1.3 on a local PostgreSQL instance (9.3). I
imported the countrywide TIGER data set, installed the missing indexes, and
ran a vacuum analyze on everything.

The geocoder is significantly slower than what is reported in the
documentation (http://postgis.net/docs/Geocode.html). The example takes
roughly 4 seconds to return a result while the documentation shows ~61ms.
There are other addresses which take nearly a minute to geocode. I ran
through a batch of 500 addresses to test, and only a handful returned a
rating under 20. I am running on Windows 7.

I have looked through as many similar issues online as I could find. I also
changed some of the config settings such as shared_buffer, but the
performance increase was negligible. I am out of ideas. Has anyone run into
a similar issue and found a solution?

Thank you for your time!

--
*Brandon M. Abear*