[postgis-users] Tricks to find polygon/line intersection faster

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 23:39:20 PST 2014

Hey,
geometry equality can be defined in many ways.

For your duplication problem, it is a simple postgres problem :
you want that for any couple (line, poly), you have at most one result
(given polygon are convex, which they are if they are squares).

so at the end of you computing you just add a filtering select :
SELECT DISTINCT ON (line_id,poly_id)

If you don't want random result, you should order your result to know which
line of the 4 you get (you could order by length, centroid, first point,
whatever.)

WITH (your computing)
SELECT DISTINCT ON (line_id, poly_id) , poly, line
FROM your computing
ORDER BY ST_Length(line) ASC

Now if you want to solve this the PostGIS way it would be harder, as you
would need a distance between shape.
(like http://postgis.net/docs/ST_HausdorffDistance.html)

Of course you could also use implicit distance, for example by snapping
your result line to a given precision and doing a regular test after
(WHERE ST_Equals(ST_SnapToGrid(line1, 0.01),ST_SnapToGrid(line2,
0.01))=TRUE )

Cheers,

Rémi-C