[postgis-users] raster2pgsql, netcdf, and windows

Mike T mtmail at optonline.net
Thu Feb 27 10:27:43 PST 2014

Hi all,

I'm new to PostGIS, so I apologize in advance if this has been asked
and answered, or if this the wrong place.

I've just installed Postgres 9.3 on Windows 8.1 from pre-built
binaries, and had installed PostGIS 2.1.1 via Stack Builder .  I'm
trying to use raster2pgsql on a netcdf file.  Does anyone know if
this is supported on Windows?  All I get is "unable to read raster file".

raster2pgsql -G yields a long list with nothing that looks like
netcdf.  From what I've able to gather from the docs, there's some
underlying dependency with GDAL stuff.  But on Windows, installing
from pre-built binaries, there's no separate gdal toolkit I can
see.  I believe it's all already baked into the distributed
executable.  If I need to alter the underlying tools, or rebuild with
a netcdf library, I'm not sure how I'd go about that.  I can probably
build from sources if I have to, but I'd really rather not go down
that rabbit hole.

I tried reinstalling PostGIS from the latest dev binary distribution,
but there's no difference.

I was able to install MS4W, which includes a version of gdal tools
for Windows, and, using that, I can read the netcdf metadata, so I
know the file itself is good.

Does anyone know how I can get raster2pgsql to recognize it?  Did I
miss a step, or is this just not possible on Windows?

Any suggestions, or pointers to additional info would be a big help!

Thanks,
Mike