[postgis-users] PostGIS user interface

Phil Hurvitz phurvitz at uw.edu
Thu Feb 27 13:14:56 PST 2014

The question of user interface should be driven by functional
requirements. QGIS is a great all-around open source and free solution.
gvSIG <http://www.gvsig.org/plone> is another free open source software
that can handle analysis and cartography. ArcGIS probably has the most
advanced combination of features for analysis and cartography, but
doesn't come cheap and in my experience tends to be very slow when using
PostGIS tables as the data source.

I'll put a plug in for OpenJUMP <http://www.openjump.org/> for very fast
but fairly rudimentary displays of PostGIS data. Most of our work is
focused on 2D vector data analytics, most of which we do using R and
PostgreSQL/PostGIS. Although we have ArcGIS, we use it less and less for
analytics (but we still use it for making the best looking maps and for
some of the analytic functionality that is faster/easier in Arc).

The *drawback* to OpenJUMP is that to load data from the db, some SQL
needs to be written in the interface, e.g., for a table called 'layer'
with one geometry column, this works to just draw the shape data and
load the attributes as a table:

SELECT * FROM layer;

The main *benefit* is the same as the main drawback: some SQL needs to
be written. This means you can do analytics on the fly and have them
shown in the map display without needing to store any files or tables.
For example, to create a set of day-level aggregate convex hulls in
projected units from a set of GPS points stored in a table called 'gps'
that also has a 'time_gps_utc' column enumerating the timestamp for each
record, and shape data stored in two columns 'the_geom_2926' and
'the_geom_4326' (WA State Plane N and lat/long WGS80, respectively):

select count(*) as npoints,
st_area(st_convexhull(st_collect(the_geom_2926))) AS area_ft2,
extract (doy from time_gps_utc) AS jday,
st_convexhull(st_collect(the_geom_2926))
from gps_10100590 group by
extract (doy from time_gps_utc)
order by jday;

I can view, pan/zoom/identify the data to get an interactive check of my
analytic result. Most interactive GIS software assumes what will be
displayed in the map display has a file or tabular source. With
OpenJUMP, if you don't like what you see, just close out--there are no
intermediate tables or files to delete. If you like what you see, then
you can easily modify the SQL and make a permanent data set, e.g., to
create a table in your db:

create table foo as
(select count(*) as npoints,
st_area(st_convexhull(st_collect(the_geom_2926))) AS area_ft2,
extract (doy from time_gps_utc) AS jday,
st_convexhull(st_collect(the_geom_2926))
from gps_10100590 group by
extract (doy from time_gps_utc)
order by jday);

or use pgsql2shp to create a shapefile from the query without needing to
create an intermediate table:

pgsql2shp -f /tmp/foo mydb "select count(*) as npoints,
st_area(st_convexhull(st_collect(the_geom_2926))) AS area_ft2,
extract (doy from time_gps_utc) AS jday,
st_convexhull(st_collect(the_geom_2926))
from gps_10100590 group by
extract (doy from time_gps_utc)
order by jday;"

The input data sets needn't even be stored as tables. For example, using
the ST_ConvexHull example in the PostGIS docs, you can view the created
shapes.

SELECT ST_ConvexHull(
ST_Collect(
ST_GeomFromText('MULTILINESTRING((100 190,10 8),(150 10, 20 30))'),
ST_GeomFromText('MULTIPOINT(50 5, 150 30, 50 10, 10 10)')));

Getting used to doing things this way is a bit difficult for a user
whose main experience is with typical GIS software. But the gain in
efficiency in adaptive tweaking of analytics, coupled with the lack of
having to deal with the multiple intermediate junk data sets typically
resultant from GIS workflows is quite refreshing.

--
-P.

Philip M. Hurvitz, PhD | Research Assistant Professor | UW-CBE
Urban Form Lab  | 1107 NE 45th Street, Suite 535  | Box 354802
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington  98195-4802, USA
phurvitz at u.washington.edu | http://gis.washington.edu/phurvitz
"What is essential is invisible to the eye." -de Saint-Exupéry