[postgis-users] PostgreSQL geometric data types vs GEOMETRY data type

Peter Len peteralen at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 2 17:16:28 PST 2014

Yeah,  I am new to PostgreSQL and PostGIS and so first was looking and
playing with the PostgreSQL built-in geometric data types like POINT and
POLYGON.  I did not know that PostGIS added its own datatype (Geometry and
Geography).  It seems that just using the PostgreSQL data types is fine to
use if you don't need all the extra PostGIS functionality.  But for more
robust geospatial functions, adding in PostGIS and using its data types is
the way to go.  On top of that, we are looking to use GeoServer and I
believe (although not positive) that the Geoserver data source will deal
with PostGIS.  So.....  I am now enlightened on the difference.  Thanks for
all the feedback!!