[postgis-users] ubuntu: package conflict

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 23:30:43 PST 2014

Hi,

Thanks Brian for your reply.

I asked Christoph Berg (maintainer for Postgres) and you have his reply
hereunder.

Following his advise, I found a ppa for precise which hs gdal 1.10,
postgis 2.1 and postgres 9.3!
https://launchpad.net/~lwarx/+archive/postgis-pg93-bp
<https://launchpad.net/%7Elwarx/+archive/postgis-pg93-bp>

Seems to solve the problem.

Cheers,

Denis

 From Christop:

Hi Denis,

the osgeo people have asked the same question last week.

The story is as follows:

In wheezy, sid, and trusty (Ubuntu 14.04), we are using the gdal that
comes with that distribution, while in precise (Ubuntu 12.04) we are
using a backport of the wheezy version (which was also the sid version
at the time we built that package).

I've tried to push a newer gdal package into precise, but that fails
horribly because precise doesn't have dh-python, and if you try to
produce a backport of that as well, the python3 version there is too
old.

An alternative would be to rip out the python3 parts of gdal to make
it build in precise, but that would be a regression compared to what
we have there now. I have pretty much no clue about gdal, so it won't
be me to dig into this.

One way that could work was to look into what the osgeo people have
done to get postgis working. I was under the impression that the PPA
for this washttps://launchpad.net/~johanvdw/+archive/osgeolive  , but
that doesn't seem to contain gdal, so they seem to have taken some
other route (probably just recompiling postgis against whatever gdal
they ship).

If you have a suggestion for how to resolve this, please let us know.

Christoph