[postgis-users] Rép: Re: Removing tiny polygons

Hugues François hugues.francois at irstea.fr
Mon Jan 27 22:31:52 PST 2014

Hello,

In your case, ST_GeometryType() really returns `ST_Polygon' ?

You can have a table with several rows, each one containing a geometry. This geometry can ne a simple one (single entity) or a multi one.

Hugues

Tom McCallum <termcc at googlemail.com> a écrit :

Ok, really silly question now, how can a polygon field contain what looks
like multiple polygons.

So I have a Shapefile of GB but its only got 3 polygons in, according to
PostGis, but there are lots of small island polygons as well which are not
attached to any of the main land masses, so I don't see how they can all
be one polygon?  Can a polygon field have multiple polygons in without
being a multi-polygon?

Thanks