[postgis-users] Urgent help needed, messed up my postgis 2.1 server by installing latest QGIS pacake

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Mar 18 13:07:17 PDT 2014

I'm certainly not an expert in this, but here is what I would do:

1. shutdown postgresql
2. rsync or tar a copy of the postgresql data so you have a backup
3. it should be safe to apt-get remove all the packages that are in question
4. mv the data directory data-old
5. reinstall the packages that you had installed before, this may
reinitialize the database (hence moving it away above)
6. stop the database again
7. mv data-old to data
8. restart the database

With any luck, you will be back running again as before. If one of the
packages you installed in your oops, installed the database and it
reinitialized it then it is likely that all the data was wiped.
Hopefully, all you tables are there and you just have a mix of
incompatible libraries that you need to clean up.

-Steve