[postgis-users] Restoring a dump

Bborie Park dustymugs at gmail.com
Mon May 19 15:24:33 PDT 2014

Jayson,

Too late now but you generally don't want to use pg_dumpall as that dumps a
database cluster (all databases and catalog data) into one text (SQL) file.
You may need to go down this nasty road...

1. Set up a clean postgresql server

2. Use psql to restore the database cluster to that new server

3. Dump your databases individually using pg_dump and the custom file
format ("-F c")

4. On your final database server, restore each database using pg_restore. I
usually extract the backup from the custom file format to a text file as I
have to modify the search_path parameter to include my schema layout.

-bborie