[postgis-users] polygons to linestrings

Roxanne Reid-Bennett rox at tara-lu.com
Thu May 22 21:05:46 PDT 2014

On 5/22/2014 12:28 PM, Richard Greenwood wrote:
> I have a polygon table that I want to convert to linestrings without
> any duplicated (overlapping) linestrings. I'm doing this simply to
> improve cartography so I'm looking for a quick and dirty approach,
> avoiding topology if possible.

I'm not sure I understand what it is you are attempting to do from this
description.  I would expect lines going in two directions from each
polygon and I just don't know how you would use that to help with
"improve cartography".

> The closest I've gotten so far is to break the polygons boundaries
> into simple (two vertex) lines and delete all the duplicate lines. Now
> I'm stuck getting the simple lines back into polylines. Just doing a
> union of the whole mess isn't getting me individual linestrings.
So, crazy "out of the blue" question.. have  you considered creating a
line (or lines) from the centroids?

> All this is turning into more steps that I anticipated and I wonder if
> I'm missing simpler approach?
Or maybe describe what your target is?  There are a lot of people a lot
more knowledgeable than I on this list, and if they haven't answered,
perhaps you haven't presented your challenge in a manner that they can
address.

Roxanne