[postgis-users] Topology building performance (was: Topology: cannot delete slivers)

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 04:48:39 PST 2014

Sadly I think it can't be done with pure plpgsql,
because every function is wrapped in a transaction no matter what.
You can only do it using the trick to connect to the same database from
within with the extension "dblink"
But I find difficult to understand how transactions and sub transactions
affects performance.

Morevover , the transaction think is not the only problem. It is more a
design problem.
Even with CGAL, building topology one by one or with the batch mode changes
radically the time of building ( n to n^2 at least).

That's why I truly think perf is going to come from a batch mode. Tweaking
the current process is just damage control in my opinion.
This is not so hard do to if we rely a bit on GEOS.

1. cut the input geom into a space partition (for line, ST_Node, for poly
ST_Polygonize)
2. populate node table, and create a temp table with list of line for each
node
3. Populate edge_data
4. fill next / left for edge_data
5. compute area (Polygonize, Geos? )
6. Map the input geom to generated topology (to be able to use attributes)

I already tested 1,2,3,6.
It can be fast (not to that building full topo in geos and converting it to
postgis_topology I'm afraid), and it will scale very well.

Cheers,
Rémi-C