[postgis-users] Oriented BBox Efficient computing?

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 05:52:14 PDT 2014

Found a python version here for minimal area enclosing rectangle
http://docs.opencv.org/modules/imgproc/doc/structural_analysis_and_shape_descriptors.html#minarearect
It takes a numpy 2D array as point
That means it is possible to use shapely to read postgis wkb geom, then
convert it to numpy and use opencv afterward.

There is also this implementation in python (iterate over all possible edge
angle)
https://github.com/dbworth/minimum-area-bounding-rectangle/blob/master/python/min_bounding_rect.py

To implement rotating caliper,
I would need some functions like :
 - compute robust orientation of an edge (easy)
 - loop on points (should be provided)
 - area of a rectangle defined by 4 points and 1 angle (=2 caliper sets)
(easy)

I guess using only the geos_c.h api is not a good solution.
Where should I look in the cpp geos jungle?

Cheers,
Rémi-C