[postgis-users] Difference between "Geometry" and "BLOB" in Postgis

Robert Burgholzer rburghol at vt.edu
Fri Oct 31 09:26:44 PDT 2014

Thanks for the response - I was thinking that may be the case.  I suppose I
should ask if PostGIS has anything that would make it behave badly when
called on geometries stored as plain old blob's?

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 08:47:59AM -0400, Robert Burgholzer wrote:
> > I am working through some postgis stuff for a Drupal module, and noticed
> > that the geometry storage in Drupal is "bytea" (because it tends to be
> > mysql-centric?).
> >
> > What is the difference, i.e., advantage offered by the PostGIS custom
> type
> > "geometry"?
>
> Advantages are those of having typed data. Functions can behave differently
> based on the data type, you can have type-specific statistical analyzers
> and operators, you know exactly how to interpret the data...
>
> --strk;
>
>   ()   Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer
>   /\   http://strk.keybit.net/services.html

Robert W. Burgholzer
 'Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated
simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.'  - Charles Mingus
Athletics: http://athleticalgorithm.wordpress.com/
Science: http://robertwb.wordpress.com/
Wine: http://reesvineyard.wordpress.com/