[postgis-users] Topology: cannot delete slivers (or gaps)

Guillaume Drolet droletguillaume at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 12:19:31 PDT 2014

Hi Sandro,

Thanks for your help!

topology.ValidateTopology gives this:

error                                  id1               id2
character varying                 integer         integer
------------------               -----------   ----------------
face has no rings                 1831

If I calculate the area of face 1831
(st_area(st_getfacegeometry('de_20k_topo', face_id))), I get a NULL value.

I also find I have some 650 of these slivers with an area below 75 m2 while
most of my correct polygons have an area above 300 000 000 m2.

Re the edges passed to ST_NewEdgeHeal, in the example I sent it was edges
3908 and 3909.

If you think about something else that could be problematic, let me know.
Meanwhile I'll dig into the approach you suggested in your reply (i.e.
fixing TopoGeometry objects).

Thanks!

PS. Forgot to mention that in the first topology I had created, I used a
tolerance of 2.0 meters instead of 1e-4 meters. While that yielded much less
slivers, I was getting way more of those nodes not located at an
intersection. What is best?