[postgis-users] PostGIS supported by which ArcGIS

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Sat Sep 27 11:20:23 PDT 2014

as far as I understand it (and I could be wrong on some of this)

  * Desktop will support reading if you load the postgresql library
    files (that can be downloaded form your ESRI customer care portal).
  * Once those are loaded you can read through a definition query data
    from postgis into arcgis. I just made a map using arcgis and reading
    data from postgis.
  * It doesn't support write unless you have SDE for Postgresql - which
    isn't postgis. That dives into the world of ArcGIS Server....

ArcGIS supposedly is moving to being able to read/write the geopackage
format which to me opens read/write to PostGIS. BUT if they open read
write for postgis that starts a slow death of SDE....so I don't believe
it ever will (for the foreseeable future).

Randy

On 09/27/2014 02:10 PM, Stefan Keller wrote:
> I'm asked from time to time for an advice which ArcGIS product
> supports PostGIS (read/write)?
> Even after reading the Esri pages I'm not sure if it's only "ArcGIS
> for Server Workgroup" (formerly ArcSDE).
> Does it work also with ArcGIS for Desktop Basic (ArcView)?
>
> Yours, S.

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com