[postgis-users] Beginning in PostGIS

James Keener jim at jimkeener.com
Sat Apr 18 11:11:12 PDT 2015

OH, I think I understand: You want to copy and paste from a shapefile
layer into the appropriate postgis layer?

I don't know if you can do that directly.  You may want to write a
script to do it, or import the shapefile into a temporary table and then
using multiple sql statements to build up your normalized tables.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1310103/split-table-with-duplicates-into-2-normalized-tables

has a little example.  Basically you import the towns with a insert into
blah select distinct (town code, town description) and then continue
that, but for the foreign keys have your updates or inserts do a
subquery to find the correct foreign row.

Jim