[postgis-users] GDAL Netcdf point data to PostGIS?

Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate gerry.creager at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 4 10:03:01 PDT 2015

Hi, Peter

There are times where WCS is appropriate, and times when WMS is more than
satisfactory. In fact, when I was doing this before, the WFS point
presentation also maintained semantics, and facilitated postprocessing. The
sparse nature of surface and upper air observations don't lend themselves,
as easily, to a coverage.

Thanks!
gerry

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 6:36 AM, Peter Baumann <
p.baumann at jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> [...]
> further processing.
> Its Core Reference Implementation allows you to store georeferenced NetCDF
> data in PostgreSQL.
> -Peter
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Coverage_Service
>

> On 2015-08-04 01:05, Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
>
> Georeferenced point data. Each site, in each netcdf, has the coordinates
> for the site, as well as the observations (temp, dew point, humidity,
> pressure, wind variables, etc.).
>
> I'm looking for a faster interface to postGis than the sloppy code I
> originally wrote to take it to a csv and then drive it into the database. I
> use it for a variety of purposes, ranging from a web display of weather
> obs, to a misued OGC WMS and WFS output, to a potential input for data
> assimilation for weather models.
>
> gerry
>
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Andy Colson <andy at squeakycode.net> wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2015 01:27 PM, Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
>>
>>> I might be posting to the wrong forum but... would this work? We
>>> aggregate meteorological surface data in netcdf form, and I'd like to
>>> populate a database with it..
>>> Thanks
>>> gerry
>>> --
>>> Gerry Creager
>>> NSSL/CIMMS
>>> 405.325.6371
>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++
>>> “Big whorls have little whorls,
>>> That feed on their velocity;
>>> And little whorls have lesser whorls,
>>> And so on to viscosity.”
>>> Lewis Fry Richardson (1881-1953)
>>>

>> Is it gis data (latitude/longitude type stuff)?  Or is it something else
>> (like temperature)?
>>
>> How would you like to use it in Postgres?  What kind of sum()'s and
>> where's are you going to write?
>>
>> -Andy
>>

> --
> Gerry Creager
> NSSL/CIMMS
> 405.325.6371
> ++++++++++++++++++++++
> “Big whorls have little whorls,
> That feed on their velocity;
> And little whorls have lesser whorls,
> And so on to viscosity.”
> Lewis Fry Richardson (1881-1953)

> --
> Dr. Peter Baumann
>  - Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen
>    www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann
>    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
>    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
>  - Executive Director, rasdaman GmbH Bremen (HRB 26793)
>    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
>    tel: 0800-rasdaman, fax: 0800-rasdafax, mobile: +49-173-5837882
> "Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS
405.325.6371