[postgis-users] Loading a PostGIS dump

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:01:17 PDT 2015

New Linux machine, new PostGIS install (postgresql-9.3-postgis-2.1). I
created DB and added extensions. Now trying to load database using
postgis_restore.pl. This is a large database (63GB dump, created from
DB that was probably 600GB or more).

The script ran for a while. Then it stopped at

 setval
--------
     53
(1 row)

It's been hanging out there for hours now, so I assume something is
hopelessly wrong.

The loader created foo.dump.lst at 10:50am and I piped errors to a
text file. Errors file shows that I did not create a user who owns one
of the schemas. `ERROR:  role "geo_user" does not exist` appears 260
times.

Can I just kill the loader script with Ctrl+C? Is database
recoverable? Should I just drop database and try again from the
beginning? Is failure related to missing role, or if not how do I
figure out what the error is so that I can get this to run to
completion?

Best,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
Asst Professor of Geography, Temple University