[postgis-users] PostGIS data in the marine environment

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 01:02:58 PST 2015

How you store data depends on how you expect to search/use it.

If you are going to need to be able to search for say all the values of
water temperature in a given area at a given depth,
you have to store all measurement points individually.
(this is usefull if you do interpolation, create raster, and so)

If you first look for all data in a given area, then do something, you
might store it with linestring.

Lastly,
depending again on the volume of the data and the usage, you could use the
postgres extension
pgpointcloud to store your data measurement efficiently.

To be more precise, would store your sensing as point (X,Y,Depth ) with
attributes (water temperature,
conductivity,  dissolved oxygen and chlorophyll fluorescence),
and would regroup those points into patchs that correspond to points being
sensed at the same time.

"Writting an application" seems a little bit exagerated given the
simplicity of what you want to do,
more like wirtting a few functions (in plpgsql or python for instance)

Cheers,
Rémi C