[postgis-users] Any native compression strategies suited for a revisioning system?

Peter Devoy peter at 3xe.co.uk
Sun Dec 13 06:47:46 PST 2015

I have been tasked with creating a revisioning system for geometries
stored by PostGIS.  To avoid data duplication I thought about storing
only diffs but because that introduces other complications I am
thinking about just storing each revision in its entirety and having a
compression mechanism minimize size on disk.

However, it seems to me that, quite rightly, Postgres's compression
algorithm (PGLZ?) is not optimised for delta encoding or high
compression ratios.  So are there any options short of me implementing
user-defined functions to wrap a compression library?

For clarity, with this method I am thinking each geometry would have a
corresponding row in which a field would hold all revisions in a JSON
data structure.

Peter