[postgis-users] Question on optimizing slow geospatial query

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 01:55:56 PST 2015

Hey,
for the following I make the hypothesis that
 1. for you trip A->B should be separated from trip B->A.
 2. od1.taz.geom are non overlaping polygon (ie your zone are non
overlaping)
 3. whatever startloc, endloc, there exist a zone overlapping it.

Now you querry look like this

--compute the origin_destination matrix
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS  origin_destination_matrix ;
CREATE TABLE origin_destination_matrix  AS
SELECT t.trip_id, zone1 AS starting_zone, zone2 as ending_zone
FROM od1.trip_v1 as t
  INNER JOIN od1.taz AS zone1 ON ( ST_Intersects(zone1.geom ,t.startloc) =
TRUE )
  INNER JOIN od1.taz AS zone2 ON ( ST_Intersects(zone2.geom ,t.endloc) =
TRUE ) ;

--aggregate to get the number of trip from X to Y
SELECT count() as number_of_trip_going_from, starting_zone, ending_zone
FROM origin_destination_matrix
GROUP BY starting_zone, ending_zone ;

I would be supprised that you find something faster.

Please note that if some of my hypothesis are false, you can still manage :
 if you drop 1. : the aggregate becomes
SELECT count() as number_of_trip_going_from, l as starting , g as ending
FROM origin_destination_matrix  , LEAST(starting_zone,ending_zone) as
l, GREATEST(starting_zone,ending_zone)
as g
GROUP BY l, g ;

if you drop 2.  : you need a way to choose which zone is the correct one
when startloc or endloc is in several zone (example : the smallest area
zone)

the origin destination matrix computation becomes :
SELECT DISTINCT ON ( t.trip_id) t.trip_id, zone1 AS starting_zone, zone2 as
ending_zone
FROM od1.trip_v1 as t
  INNER JOIN od1.taz AS zone1 ON ( ST_Intersects(zone1.geom ,t.startloc) =
TRUE )
  INNER JOIN od1.taz AS zone2 ON ( ST_Intersects(zone2.geom ,t.endloc) =
TRUE )
ORDER BY ST_Area(zone1.geom) ASC, ST_Area(zone2.geom) ASC;

If you drop 3. , it is easy to deal with.
The dirty way is to add a polygon in "taz" that overlap all of you
startloc/endloc, you can call it 'UNKNOWN', then use the "drop 2.
hypothesis".

The clean way is to look in origin destination matrix, and get missing trip_id
(they are missing because they where no zone for startloc and/or endloc).
Then do something for theim (I don"t know what you want to do with it)

getting the missing trip_id  can be done with an EXCEPT for instance :

WITH missing_in_origin_destination AS ( --compute the missing trip, because
startloc and/or endloc have no corresponding zone
SELECT t.trip_id
FROM od1.trip_v1 as t
EXCEPT ALL
SELECT odm.trip_id
FROM origin_destination_matrix  AS odm
)
--your querry to do something with trip that are not in origin_destination
matrix

Cheers,
Rémi-C