[postgis-users] Hardware requirements for a server

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 02:11:19 PST 2015

Own setup : dell precision 2*6 cores, 20 go RAM, SSD for index, 7200 HDD
for big tables.

I do very different stuff with the server :
 - base for visualisation of classical vector table (Usually few users
mostly reading.)
 - base for automatic road generation (topology + very very complex query)
 - interactive editing of road generation ( several users reading/writing +
custom triggers)
 - point cloud server <https://github.com/Remi-C/Pointcloud_in_db> for
point cloud import/export/visu
 - in base point cloud processing
<https://github.com/Remi-C/Postgres_Day_2014_10_RemiC/blob/master/presentation/A%20PostgreSQL%20Server%20for%20Point%20Cloud%20Storage%20and%20Processing.pdf>,
with lot's of python
 - in base point cloud classification
<https://github.com/Remi-C/Octree_LOD_article/blob/master/OctreeLOD_LQ.pdf>
(submitted, not yet accepted)

Almost each of this usage has a different profile (simply displaying a
vector table in qgis vs managing Billions of points ...)

Cheers,
Rémi-C