[postgis-users] Using st_intersects without a defined projection

Trang Nguyen Trang.Nguyen at inrix.com
Wed Feb 11 17:40:00 PST 2015

Hello,

I have two tables with geometry columns defined as
geometry(POINT), geometry(LINESTRING), and geometry(MULTIPOLYGON), passed in as a sequence of lon/lat coordinates.
I don't have any projection defined on these tables, so I believe it's using the system SRID of 0.

Would I get accurate results if were to do an st_intersects(table1.point_col, table2.multipoly_col), or st_intersects(table1.linestring_col, table2.multipoly_col)?

When would it be better to define projection (4326) for these columns?

Thanks,
Trang