[postgis-users] calculating area

David Haynes haynesd2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:49:24 PST 2015

There are many ways to determine area in PostGIS, but I will simplify this
to 3 groups.
1 consider the earth as an ellipsoid, where the radius changes, 2 consider
the world to a perfect sphere, 3 your area is small enough to fit in a
defined equal area projection. For work, I have generated a number of area
datasets for country boundries using the functions in PostGIS. You will
notice that the 3rd function uses a global equal area projection. They are
all different and in someways they are all accurate. The first function
uses a mathematical model that tries to model the earth and takes a bit
longer. The second uses a sphere and is the fastest, while the third
flattens the earth and its accuracy is based on the projection.

1) Spherical Area ST_Area(p.geog, false) as ellipsoid / spheroid
The current World Geodetic System
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System> model uses a spheroid
whose radius is 6,378.137 km at the equator
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equator> and 6,356.752 km at the poles
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_pole>.
2) Spheroid AREA ST_Area(p.geog) as sphere,
3) Projected Area ST_Area(ST_Transform(p.geog::geometry,3410)) proj_area

In general, I would recommend the function 1 as an accurate calculation. I
have document of country areas I can share with you if you like. It shows a
collection of country polygons that have the area determined using all
three different methods. In this document, I am assuming that spheroid will
be the truth.
The interesting thing is that there are major differences based on the
latitude. The area of a geography goes from over to under projection at the
35 degree. This is due to shrinking and expansion of the ellipsoid and
equal area projection.