[postgis-users] overlapping geometries

Hugues François hugues.francois at irstea.fr
Thu Feb 26 06:08:18 PST 2015

Hello,

I’m not sure I understand your whole problem, but I can try to give you the beginning of some answers :

-          The use of ST_Overlaps seems more natural to me to find overlapping geometries (it depends on what you’re looking for, and you may also have look to ST_Intersects but ST_Contains does not return the same kind of results)

-          To compare geometries within a single layer, you can make an auto jointure and a select distinct to remove duplicates. Something like this query may work :

SELECT DISTINCT a.* FROM table AS a, table AS b

WHERE a.gid != b.gid  and ST_Overlap(a.geom, b.geom)

HTH

Hugues.