[postgis-users] PostGIS supported by which ArcGIS

Adrian Term adrian.term at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 08:26:27 PST 2015

I finally managed what I wanted, and that is to be able to edit geometries
stored in PostgreSQL/PostGIS (non versioned) with both ArcMap and QGIS
following this steps :
- With pgAdmin create a new database using "template_postgis_20" (let's
name it database)
- From ArcCatalog - System Toolboxes - Data Management Tools - Geodatabase
Administration - Create Enterprise Geodatabase "esrifi" your previously
created database (In the Database field write the name of the database
previously created with pgAdmin)
-From ArcCatalog - Add Database Connection - connect to your "esrified"
geodatabase using sde superuser credentials (previously created). A new
connection will be created.
-Right click on the newly created connection - Administration - Add user
(adrian)
-Disconnect as sde and  connect back to the database with the new user's
credentials. Here is a trick. ArcMap have a latency in disconnecting the
previous connection. So, delete the previous sde connection and restart
ArcMap or do whatever you now to be sure that you are connecting as the
newly created user.
-Connected as newly created user - Right click on connection - Import -
Feature classes and don't forget here at the bottom of the dialogue box
"Geodatabase Settings (optional)" to choose PG_GEOMETRY
1. Define a primary key on objectid column :
ALTER TABLE adrian.database
  ADD CONSTRAINT objectid_pkey PRIMARY KEY(objectid);
2.Create a sequence :
CREATE SEQUENCE adrian.databse_objectid_sequence
  INCREMENT 1
  MINVALUE 1
  MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807
  START 6324
  CACHE 1;
ALTER TABLE adrian.database_objectid_sequence
  OWNER TO adrian;
3.Autoincrement objectid column values according to the corresponding
sequence.
ALTER TABLE adrian.database ALTER COLUMN objectid SET DEFAULT
nextval('adrian.database_objectid_sequence'::regclass);
That will be all.
Adrian