[postgis-users] Borked PostGIS 2.2 Upgrade

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 21:08:42 PDT 2016

Running PostGIS on PostgreSQL 9.3 Linux Mint 17.2 using
ubuntugis-unstable PPA. I had a working PostGIS 2.1.4. I recently apt
upgraded to PostGIS 2.2.2. I then tried:

    ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "2.2.2";

However this resulted in:

    ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/postgis-2.2": No such file
or directory

I posted about this to GIS.SE
(http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/206412/how-can-i-do-a-soft-upgrade-from-postgis-2-1-4-to-2-2-2).
Paul Ramsey responded and helped me figure out that something went
wrong with upgrade. (Thanks Paul!) At this point, I need to figure out
whether I can salvage the installation. I wanted to avoid dump and
restore, but at this point even dump is not working because of
nonworking PostGIS. I'm moving this to postgis-users as the
back-and-forth is more appropriate to a ML than GIS.SE

I'm running into dependency issues. I was *not* able to downgrade
because PostGIS 2.1 depends on GDAL 1.x, and I have already upgraded
to GDAL 2.0. When I looked to see what would be involved in
downgrading GDAL, apt wants to uninstall QGIS 2.16 and a bunch of
other stuff.

I apt uninstalled PostGIS 2.2 and reinstalled PostGIS 2.2. That
database still thinks it's on PostGIS 2.1, which is missing, and
CREATE EXTENSION fails (no control file) and ALTER EXTENSION fails as
previously.

Best,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
Asst Professor of Geography, Dartmouth College